(1) Can I start a new farm in my place?
Yes you can start a farm in your place. But you need to confirm availability of water, electricity and telecommunication infrastructure and access to the site like road link, rail link and other transport infrastructure. You have also underatnd the soil, climate, rain pattern, day temperatures, night temperatures, wheather conditions throughout the year, zones like tropical, subtropical, temperate or any other type of zone. Also have qualified labour to maintain and run the farm.
(2) How small and how big can i set up this farm?
For Orchids- Dendrobiums- a minimum of 3acres or 12000 sqm is essential. For Mokaras- it can be around 8000 sqm and the same for Arandas, arantheras, renentheras, and vandaceous hybrids. For all other family of orchids, anthuriums it has to be a minimum of 4000 sqm . For heliconia to begin with one acre and later expand to around 5 acres. For foliage a minimum of 5 acres is essential. For medicinal , aromatic plants around 3 acres is essential. For Banana around 10 acres and above essential. for all other products that we work on we expect a 3 acre minimum area for doing any desicive support.
Further we have modules for a growers -Hubs wherein there could be several smaller clusters which can then together have a minimum plant population. We have modules using 200- 20000 plants clusters. So you can plan a 150 sqm area to 4000 sqm shade area cultivation.
(3) I believe you provide consultation and also buy back. Could you please provide more details regarding the same?
Yes . we provide the technical support and also qualitative buyback. The buyback is a fixed price system in an year of operation and is valid for the season or year. We update the pricing systems for each quarter by our pricing update modules.
Our consultation and technical support covers all areas of project planning, implementation, technical support, plant support, plant pathological support, post harvets practices and market development.
We have continuous education program covering every aspect of cultivation that is fed to our growers on an ongoing basis which are more visual oriented. Further we have growers seminars and sharing of resources and experiences of growers who have expertise on orchid cultivation for the past 20 years.
(4) For this to be commercially viable how many plants do we need to start with?
Yes..we have mentioned the areas in question number -2 Please refer to the minimum area required.
(5) Do we need to set up a polyhouse or a shade net house? If shade net then what % do we need to use?
Yes for phalenopsis and cymbidiums we need poly house and the rest can be grown in shade house. Usually for dendrobiums we need around 50% shade and Mokaras etc we may need around 30% shade net.
(6) Do you sell plants? If so then what size are they and how long will they take to start flowering after they reach us? Also we would like to know the approximate price for orchid hybrids?
Yes We do sell all kinds of plants including Orchids, Helcionias, anthuriums, spice plants, foliage plants, tissue culture flasks and also in all sizes. Please browse our webiste to get detailed information.
Some of the breeder stocks are available only to our Franchisee growers and not to general customers.
(7) We plan to start with about 10 types of Dendrobium? Would that be the correct decision or should I try some other species too?
You can start with a singular or two range groups rather than have around 10 varieties so that your efforts can be towards maximising the yields and returns. we evaluate a particular culitvar as suitable to a specific region and provide our suggestion for the same.
(8) What is the range of temperatures and humidity levels required to grow these hybrids successfully?
Normally Orchids need a tropical climate and can be grown in the open with shade houses of 35% to 50 % shade levels. The temperature range isa around 15 to 35 * C and Humidity in the region of 60% and above.
(9) How many flowers does each plant produce in a year?
Each and every hybrid culitvars that we select are th best clones produced for maximised yields , But culitvar to culitvar the production varies..
(10) What is the life of the plant?
Normally the Dendrobiums are in active production for around 7 years and ohters for 8 -9 years.The plants then produce keikeis and genreally get chanegd to a new generation..
(11) Will the output of the plant increase or decrease with age?
Yes. We have found that happening with most of the orchid family but generally it is not the rule.
(12) As per our discussion you said 40,000 plants would be commercially viable. We would like to start with 10,000 plants initially and slowly build up the quantities. We would like to know why 10,000 plants will not be viable?
Yes.. You can grow any minimumsizes for the project provided you form a part of the orchid Hub.
(13) Do you do consultancy for these kinds of projects and if so how do you charge?
Yes.. We have shifted most of our work with farms as franchisee based mode and shifted from pure consulting to Joint management and handling.
(14) I want to do intercrop planting.. Is it advisable for vanilla-what about orchids and which orchids can we do intercrop and how it can be done?
You can intercrop Vanilla and arantheras, arachnis plants as an intercrop in Areca, Glyricidia and other shade trees..Please see the model photos put up in our website.
(15) what other crops do you provide support and buyback?
We support all family of orchids, Anthuriums, Foliage products, and essential oil and medicianl-aromatic plants. We have now started a division to handle Jatropha and stevia products. Details of the same will be made available in our website.
(16) Do you supply technology for post harvest management and if so in what areas?
Yes . We do supply all post harvest management practices including shipping and packing guidelines and ensure quality contro from the time harvest is completed to ensure proper quality products reaches our outlets and at the sametime ensures proper financial remuneration to the growers.
(17) What exactly is the buyback process and how do we ensure a gross minimum for the harvest ?
The Buy back process is valid for each year when a Bench mark price is offered to a grower on an annula basis and holds good for the particular year of operation. Constantly we advise our growers of the changing market scanario so that they build up proper preventive measures to sustain any losses due to problems in the markets. Usually our product selctions help sustain an operation for aminimum period of seven years against any vagarancies that may happen in the market and help the grower achieve the break even and profit in short gestation cycles. This is important when financing is done through Bankers and payback is involved. By going for a fixed price system we eliminate the doubts in the process of selling during the year and ensure a fixed return against the investment.
(18) How do we plan for the project and where can we see a project in implementation and how we can understand what to do when?
Several models of our growers are available in each geographic zone and with prior appointment one can view the production fcailities that we have created in the recent past. We also provide continuous ongoing education to the grower at his farm and his team to ensure proper management is carried out.
A complete overall implementation schedules and operational guidelines are provided from time to time and all inputs to maintain the same are taken care of.
(19) Do you provide financial support and participate in the venture ?
Normally we only advise on the technical aspects and also provide the franchise network option. In this option we buy back the produce from the growers and also retail the products through our florist franchise outlets in India and abroad. We can help you set up the venture , But investments and financial management rest with the growers or outlets.
(20) How do we understand the economics of the market place?
We have a monthly report on the markets that we operate and thereby ensure information flow on the product pricing trends during the season.
(21) Is there a guideline for foliage projects and how many products can i grow to be a successful foliage exporter ?
You can grow from 1 product specialisation like growing Draceana group to philodendron group or select products that can be easily grown at your farms micro climate.
(22) You have mentioned aromatic plants ? what are these and how do we know which ones to grow ?
Yes. we have detailed information on plants, plant habits and their economics in the webpages.
(23) What are essential oil plants and how we can understand which will be the right product?
(24) How do we process the leaves and other end products at our end ?
Yes.. we provide a comprehensive system for post harvets management of the flroal products as soon as they are harvested and aslo support in setting up post harvest practices for better quality control.
(25) How do we process vanilla beans and can we sell them in green pods stage or what stage ?
You can sell them at both green and cured stage .. However cured beans provides better value addition and also provides a better understanding as to the qulaity of the beans that are being grown in your farm. Cured beans also have better shelf life and provides a cushion for leveraged buying or selling. From cured beans one can setup a factory or facility to extract single, two fold and four fold vanilla extracts, vanilla sugar, vanilla paste etc and these technologies are available on turnkey basis.
(26) I want to start a Tissueculture unit and produce plants. What are the size and viability of such an unit and where or how we can start one ?
We have provided a detailed webpage on Tc of orchids and complete technical process knowhow including setting up a lab is available from us. Please send us your request interms of volume of plants to be produces, capacity and investment guidelines so that we can advise in the process of setting up a TC and hardening unit.
(27) Is there any demonstartion video or literature or booklets or any other information available and if so how these can be provided ?
You can order them from us .. Video on each and evry aspect of cultivation are available from our side. We also bring out regularly technical educative videos concerning evry aspect of orchid cultivation, growers discussions and experiences.
(28) Can I ask for a personal visit and if so how ?
By prior appointment only.
(29) Can i sell my produce directly to the market without the buyback system and if so what help is provided ?
Depends on your inertia and market network and payemnt systems in place.
(30) Do you sell or provide support to supply orchid fertilisers, and orchid care products?
we have developed through continuous research several products that provide cost effective fertigation and propagation solutions for Orhcids, anthuriums and Helcionias.
Here we introduce you to the exotic grower farms of asia from India, Himalayan Nepal,Srilanka,Thailand, Malaysia, Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam ,PNG, FIJI Singapore,Indonesia covering the whole south asian orchid growing zones, its hybrids- the commercial cultivation of cut flowers- mericlones, the exotic wealth of orchid species, the orchid gardens of the east, the growers and trade.Visit all the links through the zones and enjoy the beauty of asian orchids.
We present here our sojourns,tours, travels,orchid projects,visits,products,explorations in a gallery format for eacy picture viewing. Do have our views entice you to a new journey.
We provide cut-flowers,loose-blooms,edible flowers,microgreens,cutfoliage and live foliage for wholesale and retail from farm to markets.We offer a collection of bouquets,corsages,arrangements in standard module.Our speciality is a collection of Leis from plumeria to orchids.Our orchids cover arandas,mokaras,cymbidiums,dendrobiums etc. We also offer Draceana,Heliconias, Anthuriums,and mini Pineapples.
We specialise in collectibles varying from decals- glassware, ceramic mugs, embedded orchids, heat transfers, tattoos , glow products, poly stone figurines ,wax items -moulded in cast resin systems.
We manufacture dried floral arrangementsitems and bouquets-made from nature and preserved .We have a range of dried natural seeds and pods to make unique stems and we can offer both arrangements and individual dried floral stems. Select from our portfolio or customise.
We provide steam distilled, Solvent extraction and CO2 super critical extracion grade essential oil of products like Patchouli, Vettivert, Clove, cinnamon leaf,cardamom, spice oils, rosemary, thyme etc.